- BUGFIX: Add a catch-all timeout on server GracefulStop, to ensure poorly behaved clients cannot keep a terminating broker around indefinitely (GH-266).
- ‘% is now an allowed character in label values and journal names. This makes their grammar compatible with URL-encoding.
- Add grpc-prometheus instrumentation to client & server gRPC’s.
- Several new metrics added:
gazette_shard_*: operational metrics of consumer shards
gazette_spool_*: metrics of journal fragment spools
gazette_journal_server_*: metrics of gRPC JournalServer invocations
- Some metrics are marked as DEPRECATED, and will be removed in the future:
- Some already-broken or unused metrics were removed.
- Improvements to benchmarks and fixed test flakes.
- BUGFIX: Fix potential UUID sequencing race in concurrent calls to PublishCommitted of the same message.Publisher, and add new regression testing (GH-259).
- Instrument message.Sequencer with Prometheus metrics.
- Add curl to release images, making it much simpler for node-zone.sh mappings to directly query cloud metadata APIs.
- Fix omitted registration of broker WriteHead metric.
- Various improvements to tests, addressing or instrumenting flakes.
- Update RocksDB to 6.7.3, and Go to 1.14.2, along with many other package dependencies.
etcdtestpackage no longer embeds an Etcd server. Instead, an
etcdbinary must be available on the PATH and is invoked as a sub-process, using Unix domain sockets. Users who use
etcdtestthemselves, or are running Gazette tests outside of the hermetic Docker build environment, must provide a reasonably recent version of
- Relatedly, the gazette client package no longer depends on Etcd (including the Etcd client).
- JSON-framed messages are now able to use custom marshal/demarshal routines.
gazctl journals/shards applynow interprets revision
-1(previously disallowed) to mean “don’t care”, allowing specs to be applied which will always overwrite what’s in Etcd. This makes sense for specs managed in another source-of-truth (eg, git).
- Mitigations and improved logging for issue GH-248.
- Remove explicit TCP keep-alive management, as this is now Go default.
- Various doc improvements & cleanups.
as-citarget downloads go modules before invoking inner make, to allow external repos to include Makefiles of the gazette/core repo which are dynamically determined using the
- Update to Go 1.13.4
MaxAppendRateJournalSpec field and global broker flag. Append RPCs now use a token-bucket flow control strategy, where RPC chunks are evaluated and potentially throttled or policed against maximum and minimum allowed flow-rates.
PathPostfixTemplateJournalSpec field. Path postfixes are evaluated and applied to individual Fragments as they’re persisted. A primary use case is to support Hive-compatible partitioning of Fragments based on their creation time. Journal names and labels may now include the ‘=’ rune, to facilitate the layout of multiple journals as a Hive-partitioned table.
- Reworked almost all documentation into reStructuredText / Sphinx / ReadTheDocs format.
- Make-based build system is refactored to make it easier to integrate and reuse in external repositories and consumer application projects.
DisableWaitForAckShardSpec field, which toggles the consumer transaction behavior of waiting for ACKs of read pending messages. Most applications won’t want to set this, but it can be helpful to avoid stalls in applications with cyclic message flows.
- Add ca-certificates to release images.
- SQLite is now a supported consumer store!
- Instances of message.Framing may now be dynamically registered. Support for
- Added the
- A bike-share example and documentation have been added, along with new kustomize manifests for deploying existing examples.
- Automated partition crash-tests are re-enabled, after adding DaemonSet kustomize manifests to properly support them.
- The ListFragments RPC now properly respects fragment stores which use re-write rules.
- The journals of ShardSpecs are now verified by consumer servers and
gazctl, to actually exist and have appropriate content-types.
- Extensive Godoc and documentation improvements.
- Various minor logging improvements and bug fixes.
This release introduces exactly-once processing semantics to Gazette!
This is a breaking change to many of the
consumer package interfaces, notably Shard, Application and Store, as well as the
message interfaces. Updates to consumer applications will be required.
This release also introduces Kustomize manifests for deploying brokers, consumers, and dependencies. Helm charts of the repo are deprecated and will be removed in a future release.
A rolling upgrade from v0.82 => v0.83 is supported and tested, with the following caveats:
- Brokers must be fully migrated to v0.83 before any consumers may be migrated. This is required as v0.83 brokers introduce journal “registers” which v0.83 consumers rely on. The v0.83 broker is fully compatible with v0.82 consumers.
- v0.83 consumers will migrate the means of storing offsets within RocksDB from now-legacy keys/values to new consumer Checkpoints introduced with v0.83. Legacy offsets are not removed, but are also not updated. This means downgrading from v0.83 => v0.82 will re-process portions of source journals read by the v0.83 consumer. Similarly, a subsequent re-upgrade from v0.82 => v0.83 will not migrate offsets again (and portions read by the downgraded v0.82 consumer will be re-processed).
Release v0.82.2 is a patch release of the v0.82 branch
It includes fixes cherry-picked from master since v0.82.1 was cut:
- 36a01b6 consumer: fix some spurious shard recovery errors
- ac3a329 broker: add more context cancellation checks for log supression
- 35632e1 broker: proxyAppend should take AppendRequest by value (not reference)
- 4c6fa33 client: RouteCache should account for empty Route
- ef7098e allocator: update some logging